Prescott House is an extra care scheme in Burgess Hill, in which Family Mosaic provides care and support to the residents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To manage the preparation and provision of hot and cold meals and snacks at Prescott House Cafe. To operate within the designated budget and take responsibility for the ordering and storing of all food products.
- Undertake menu planning in consultation with customers which demonstrate recommended current nutritional guidelines for older people.
- Undertake all of the preparation and cooking and serving of main meals, snacks, etc. in accordance with specified menus.
- To ensure that all meals are prepared and presented to an acceptable standard.
- Ensure menus are displayed and promoted showing choices.
- Determine quantities of food to be cooked and size of portions to be served, taking into account customer choice.
- Ensure individuals on special diets or with specific cultural needs are catered for and that choice is also available.
- Ensure adequate stocks of food are maintained (fresh, frozen and dried) and undertake monthly stock checks.
- Check quantity and quality of stock received and notify suppliers of deficiencies.
- Ensure that the food expenditure is kept within budget using financial records maintained by Housing Officer/Housing Assistant.
- To ensure that an inventory of kitchen equipment and stock is updated and managed.
- To ensure that proper quality control systems are adopted for all aspects of food preparation management.
- To ensure that food handling, cleanliness, health, safety, risk assessments and that all procedures required within the meal preparation areas operate to the highest possible standards.
- To ensure that the food preparation areas operate to current and any future legal or regulatory requirements and co-operate fully with the statutory inspections, implementing recommendations as appropriate.
- Report to the Housing Officer, or the onsite Caretaker, or Sussex Maintenance any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Maintain safe practise at all times in accordance with Family Mosaic’s health and safety policy and understand responsibilities in relation to fire procedures, health and safety, COSSH, infection control, food hygiene and emergency aid.
- Follow all relevant association policies and procedures and undertake any other reasonable requests from your line manager.
- Collect cash from customers into a cash register, add up cash at the end of each day and hand over to the Support Worker/Housing Officer for reconciliation.
- If you accept a job in Family Mosaic’s care and support services then we expect that you will be as committed to providing excellent customer service as we are – whether you are in direct contact with customers, or dealing with internal colleagues or outside organisations, we expect you to meet the very highest standards of customer service at all times.
- We expect you to be as passionate as we are about making a real difference to people’s lives, providing a welcoming and supportive environment where customers can eat a hot meal and reduce the isolation of living alone.
- You need to be kind and empathetic, and respect the individual characteristics and needs of the very diverse range of customers you’ll be dealing with, as well as a sense of humour, an approachable manner and the resilience to cope with a busy job.
- Previous experience of working in a kitchen and providing meals for medium to large numbers.
- Previous experience of catering for older people.
- Experience of menu planning.
- Experience of customer service.
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate.
Knowledge and understanding
- Knowledge of older people and nutrition.
- Understanding of special diets including gluten free, dairy free, diabetes, low fat etc.
- Thorough and up to date knowledge of food hygiene and health and safety issues relating to kitchens and catering.
- Demonstrable knowledge of high standards of kitchen cleanliness.
- Knowledge of food preparation and cooking skills.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to prepare and serve well presented and attractive meals to meet individual requirements.
- A commitment to providing nutritious meals and offer a range of choices including to those with specific dietary requirements.
- Ability to communicate and relate to older people.
- Ability to form positive relationships and communicate effectively with staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Demonstrable commitment to equality and diversity and a genuine desire to work with older people.
- Ability to work flexibly to meet customer needs, including weekends and providing holiday cover when required.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to manage a food budget and to ensure food ordering and provision is managed in a cost effective manner.
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Further job information is available here.